Safety & Conditions
Live Conditions
River Details
About
Tygart River, West Virginia — Tygart Lake State Park, 1936 Army Corps Flood Control. Systematic measurement of the Tygart began with the U.S. Geological Survey's streamgaging program in the early twentieth century. The gage at Belington, USGS 03051000, draining 415 square miles of the upper basin, has recorded continuous discharge since June 1907 — one of the longer hydrologic records in the Monongahela system. A companion station, USGS 03056000, now measures releases below Tygart Dam near Grafton and underpins the dam's scheduled flows, where mean discharge runs around 1,650 cubic feet per second and boaters look for 800 to 3,000 cfs. The river carries Class II–IV water.
The Tygart Valley River — also called simply the Tygart — runs 162 miles through the mountains of Randolph and Barbour counties in north-central West Virginia, draining 1,330 square miles as it flows from the Allegheny Mountains toward Grafton, where it meets the West Fork River to form the Monongahela. Its three forks, the Buckhannon, Middle, and West, gather the region's water. Above the dam the upper reaches run cool and clear, holding smallmouth bass, walleye, and trout; the stretch above the reservoir is a designated West Virginia Class A trout stream.
Long before the mills, the broad valley floor was a seasonal hunting ground shared by Cherokee and Shawnee peoples, whose quarry included elk, bison, and deer. The river takes its name from the Tygart family, colonial-era settlers who arrived in the 1750s; David Tygart established a homestead here in 1753. In 1856 the valley saw the first railroad crossing of the Alleghenies, with the B&O Railroad's Cheat River Tunnel nearby.
From the 1830s through the 1920s the Tygart was a working timber corridor. At Valley Falls, W. W. Fetterman built a whipsaw mill in 1837, and after the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad reached the falls from Grafton in 1853 the settlement boomed with sawmills, feed mills, a hotel, and a ferry. Downstream, Grafton's mills combined as the Grafton Boom Company to impound logs cut on the headwaters; at times the stored timber reached four or five miles upstream, and rafts were sorted by owners' brands and floated to the proper mill. The era's violence showed in 1888, when a boom above Valley Falls holding roughly three million saw logs gave way and sent a wall of logs some thirty feet high through the town — two years after an 1886 fire had already burned much of it. Large-scale cutting continued into the 1920s as the old-growth stands were exhausted.
The river's modern character was forged between 1936 and 1938, when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers built Tygart Dam under the Flood Control Act of 1936 — one of the earliest major flood-control projects in the Appalachian coalfields, following devastating floods in 1888 and 1935. The dam impounded a 3,810-acre reservoir in Taylor County, and in 1945 the state established Tygart Lake State Park four miles south of Grafton, home to the largest boathouse in the West Virginia park system. Downstream, Valley Falls State Park frames the whitewater: the Arden section from Arden to Philippi runs Class III–IV on scheduled releases — one of the most reliable runs in West Virginia outside the Gauley — while the Tygart Gorge from Valley Falls to Hammond is an expert Class IV–V dam release, and the Middle Tygart from Philippi to Grafton is gentler Class I–II smallmouth water. Under the Clean Water Act of 1972, state agencies now document the legacy of a century of logging, agriculture, and coal-and-industrial discharge, and TMDL studies and stream-restoration programs guide the river's recovery.
River conditions are community-verified. CFS ranges, difficulty ratings, and access points may not reflect every flow level or seasonal change. Always check current conditions, scout unfamiliar rapids, and paddle within your skill level.