Safety & Conditions
Live Conditions
River Details
About
Comal River, Texas — 1845 German Settlement, Landa Park, Edwards Aquifer Springs. The springs came first. Archaeological excavations near the Comal Springs have revealed one of the oldest continuously inhabited sites in North America, a gathering place for the Coahuiltecan and Tonkawa peoples for at least 12,000 years. In a semi-arid region, the massive and reliable spring flow made this a critical water source — sacred ground long before any European named the stream.
The name itself traces a quiet act of correction. Early Spanish explorers called this stream the Guadalupe, but after Pedro de Rivera y Villalón identified the longer waterway as the true Guadalupe, the shorter river was given the name Comal in the 18th century. The two rivers meet at the Comal's mouth, and the smaller one has carried its corrected name ever since.
German settlers arrived in 1845, when New Braunfels was founded by a colonizing party led by Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels under the Adelsverein program. The river's abundant flow drove the early industry of the town, and by the 1860s the springs were powering local grist and saw mills, feeding the flour and textile operations that gave the settlement its economic footing. The Comal River watershed was also logged from the 1830s through the 1920s to support the regional timber industry and railroad expansion, with local sawmills and logging drives among the major operators; the exhaustion of old-growth stands by 1910, the start of state forestry conservation in 1915, and the establishment of state forests in the 1930s ended large-scale logging.
Hydrologists took the river's measure early. The USGS survey of the 1870s through the 1890s, the establishment of gauging stations from the 1880s into the 1910s, and state geological streamflow assessments of the 1910s through the 1930s were the first comprehensive studies of the river's flow. That flow is not guaranteed. During the extreme drought of 1956, the Comal Springs went dry — a stark reminder that the river's entire volume depends on the health of the Edwards Aquifer beneath it. In 2014, the Edwards Aquifer Authority implemented pumping restrictions to ensure minimum spring flows at the Comal Springs, balancing municipal water supply against ecological and recreational needs. The Comal remains a key indicator river for the Authority's monitoring program.
Landa Park, the 41-acre estate the city of New Braunfels purchased in 1938, has been the river's principal attraction ever since, surrounding the springs where the Comal begins. From there the river runs a 1.5-mile spring run through the park to Hinman Island, then continues another 1.5 miles through the town section — a tubing chute — to the Guadalupe confluence. Recognized as one of the best tubing rivers in Texas, the Comal has hosted a recreational tubefloat economy since the 1900s. Its riffles and dependable current still thread inner-tubers through the heart of New Braunfels, a short, spring-fed river that continues to define the town that grew along its banks.
River conditions are community-verified. CFS ranges, difficulty ratings, and access points may not reflect every flow level or seasonal change. Always check current conditions, scout unfamiliar rapids, and paddle within your skill level.