Safety & Conditions
Live Conditions
River Details
About
Solomon River, 1860s-70s — Homestead Settlement under 1862 Act. The South Fork Solomon rises in eastern Sherman County and gathers into a permanent stream near Tasco, in present-day Sheridan County. From there it threads the rolling Mitchell County farmland that anchored the Solomon Valley wheat and corn belt, a Class I prairie river running roughly 180 miles to its confluence with the Smoky Hill. The USGS gauge at 06876000 records an average discharge near 520 cubic feet per second, with a historical mean around 468; paddlers find the river most workable between 200 and 1,500 cfs.
The valley's human history reaches back well before statehood. It was Pawnee territory, with villages along both the North and South Forks and earth lodges scattered across the bottomlands until forced removal in the 1870s. The river's name may derive from a French trader named Solomon, or from a Pawnee word for the river. Other peoples moved through and lived along the valley as well — the Delaware, Cheyenne, Kansa, Osage, Kiowa, and Sioux among them — drawn, like everyone since, to the reliable water in a dry stretch of plains.
Non-Indigenous settlement began at Asherville, the first such settlement in the valley, established in 1856 by the Rees family. It accelerated sharply in the late 1860s and early 1870s under the provisions of the Homestead Act of 1862. The broad South Fork valley proved exceptionally fertile, and within a few years it ranked among Kansas's most productive wheat regions. The railroad arrived in the 1870s, and towns like Beloit, Minneapolis, and Solomon — the last named for Frederick W. Solomon, who founded it in 1866 — grew up along the water as shipping and milling centers for the surrounding grain.
The watershed also saw a long timber chapter. From the 1830s through the 1920s, the Solomon River watershed was logged to supply the regional timber industry and the railroad expansion that followed, with local sawmills, logging drives, and downstream lumber operations doing the work. The exhaustion of old-growth stands by 1910, the start of state forestry conservation in 1915, and the establishment of state forests in the 1930s ended large-scale logging.
The river's modern character was set in 1966, when the Bureau of Reclamation completed the Glen Elder Dam on the South Fork. Its 12,500-acre reservoir — the water body at the heart of Glen Elder State Park and the Waconda Lake Recreation Area — still supplies flood control and irrigation across the region. The dam also reorganized the fishery downstream: the 30-mile reach below Glen Elder Dam runs as a cold tailwater and holds the river's best fishing. Downstream, the 40 miles from Beloit to Minneapolis carry a true prairie river past limestone bluffs, and the final 50 miles from Minneapolis to Solomon widen into a broad valley before joining the Smoky Hill. Boat access, camping, and tailwater fishing information are available at the Glen Elder State Park Marina.
River conditions are community-verified. CFS ranges, difficulty ratings, and access points may not reflect every flow level or seasonal change. Always check current conditions, scout unfamiliar rapids, and paddle within your skill level.